6. Banging your head against a wall. You feel like you’re fighting the same battles repeatedly. Each time, you’ve run into the same wall, and you don’t see any change coming in the foreseeable future. It’s probably time to throw in the towel.
7. Kicking the dog. Your frustration and stress level is so high you take it out on the loving creatures and people in your life. Attorneys don’t handle stress well as it is. If yours rises to a consistently intolerable level, move on before your family tells you it’s time to move out.
8. Rampant paranoia. You are convinced that hushed conversations are about you, and that you’re the punch line of a joke when you hear people in the office laughing. Remember, just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean people aren’t really out to get you.
9. Extreme eating. There is no happy in-between. You either have no appetite whatsoever, or can’t get enough Chunky Monkey to reach a level of satisfaction. When you need safety pins to keep your skirt from falling off, or to help close the waistline gap in your pants, it’s time to make a move for the sake of your health.
10. Hair bristling on the back of your neck. When the mere sound of a voice — that of a partner, staff member, colleague, or client — makes the hair on your neck stand up, it’s time to pack it up and leave before you do or say something really stupid.
Care to add more based on your own experience?